Thursday, February 17, 2011

Things I used to think

God, I wish I had the internet when I was 16.  I see young people getting so much support when I go to different online trans forums and pages.  I would know that the things that I used to think about being trans are not true and there isn't only one way to be trans.  Walking home from the shrink who rejected me I wracked my brain trying to figure out what I did/said wrong.  That was the '80s then and maybe the experts thought wrong, I guess.  I've heard of people running into the same stereotypes in mental health professionals even today.

Here are some things that I used to think about FTM transgendered/transsexual people including myself:

  • An FTM cannot have an orgasm without transition
  • An FTM cannot be attracted to men
  • An FTM is disgusted by his female parts and cannot enjoy them
  • An FTM would never be happy to be pregnant.
  • An FTM would never go and get a gynecological exam
There are probably more and I'm not saying that my experience is everyone's experience, but the fact that I am attracted to men, enjoy sex, was very happy to carry my son and I do (although reluctantly) take care of my reproductive health does not mean that I am not transgendered.

I really should try to find a therapist, but I am so afraid of that.  I've looked a bit and I haven't been able to find a psychologist who openly specializes in gender therapy.  Plus my insurance would only cover a few appointments.  I can't ever see me telling my doctor and I asked for the to send me to the mental health and she didn't.  She seems to think that drugs are the answer to everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment