Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Grief, confusion and heartache

My mother died just over a year ago.  When I was 17 and more or less living as a boy, completely ready to go away and start SRS, I came out to my mother.  I found out much later that her impulse that day was to put us both in the car and drive us off a cliff.  For the first time in a long time I remember the tension of that time living with her knowing that she hated who I was so much, that much.  I think that is when most of my suicide attempts were.  I also found out at that same time that she was starting a law suit that drove my shrink out of the country which in turn caused the next shrink I saw who was the gate to SRS to tell me that I just wanted to be someone else.  The man I wanted to be died that day and my parents were sooooo happy, especially my mom.  My friends that I had come out to thought I was some kind of attention seeking lesbian freak even though I fucked more guys than they did.

That man got buried so deep for her that I couldn't even start to glimpse that part of myself until she was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  So, if I experiment with these feelings and find that I am happier being male, then my  mom fucked up my life royally.  I could have been happy at 18 or so instead of waiting until I'm in my mid-forties,  but how can I be mad at her, she's dead?  The guilt at being mad at her and the possibility of freedom because she is  no longer in my life can be overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment